For Agencies and EMS Providers in the Susquehanna Region:
The Training and Education Committee took on the project of creating a Falls Awareness training presentation for agencies and providers in our region. This project was undertaken after looking at the regional statistics from 2017 and the first half of 2018. Based upon these statistics, after calls for sick persons, the next highest type of dispatched call was for falls (these numbers also included calls for lifting assistance). Calls dispatched as falls accounted for over 10% of the calls in the region.
In an effort to give field providers additional options to assist them, and family members, on these types of calls, the Training and Education committee did the following:
- Adapted the included NY Connects pamphlet to include the phone numbers for the local NY Connects offices in Broome, Chenango and Tioga counties.
- Obtained REMAC and Regional Council approval of the self-guided falls power point training presentation.
- Obtained REMAC approval for 30 minutes of CME credit for those providers who complete the training and take the on-line quiz. The CME credits are broken down as:
- For EMT’s and AEMT’s- 30 minutes in Geriatrics
- For Critical Care’s- 30 minutes in Training
- For Paramedics-30 minutes in Special Challenges
The on-line quiz can be found by going to the SREMS webpage (srems.com) and clicking on the link for the SREMS testing website. The quiz is titled SREMS Fall Prevention 2019 Quiz. (for providers that haven’t used the testing website before, they will need to create an account and then scan/email a copy of their EMT card and CPR card to the program agency office so their validation can be completed.)
View and download:
We will be sending out, via US Mail, copies of the pamphlets and attached letters.
Please feel free to reprint the pamphlets (request the PDF file from the program agency office) and leave them with family members when appropriate.
All agencies are asked to complete this training by July 1, 2019. This training can be done individually or as a group, just remember that to use the CME credits a provider will need to complete the on-line quiz.